Join us as we explore Columbus’ most vibrant neighborhood, the Short North. In five segments, we’ll introduce you to the neighborhood and then detail the neighborhood’s surprising history, world-class arts and culture scene, stellar lineup of events, and unparalleled dining and drinking options. Thanks for checking out our Short North Series.
The Short North is a foodie’s paradise. There are so many great places to eat and drink that we’re splitting this special series into several themes. In search of the best cup of joe or coffee shop vibe? We’ve got you covered. Looking to enjoy the summer weather on a patio? We’ll tell you about the places you have to go. Best happy hours? Check. And quick bites? Absolutely.
We hope you enjoy — and be sure to let us know what you think!
Best Coffee Shops
There’s certainly no shortage of places to get caffeinated in the Short North. Whether you’re looking for a quick coffee on the run or a nice mug and a comfortable seat to get some work done, the neighborhood’s lineup of coffee shops has you covered.
With so many places for great coffee and cool vibes, here are a few of the favorites:
- Mission Coffee Co.: On nice days, the garage door is rolled up to make this exposed-brick space even cooler. Mission is almost always packed with people working on their laptops and enjoying the stellar drip coffee and specialty drinks. There’s a nice variety of seating, including counter stools overlooking the baristas’ prep area.
- One Line Coffee: This stylish shop in the heart of the Short North has seating that’s ideal for solo work sessions or one-on-one meetings. The baristas are known to add some flavor with their own personal music selections.
- Fox in the Snow: Technically in Italian Village, Fox in the Snow is worth venturing a few blocks off High Street. Revered for their baked goods and comfortable, stylish atmosphere, this trendy coffee shop has unmatched plant life and decor. Just don’t expect WiFi!
Be sure to check out these coffee shops when you’re on the hunt.
It’s that time of year to get out and enjoy the weather in Columbus, and there’s no better neighborhood for outdoor dining and drinking than the Short North.
Here are a few of the best bars and restaurants for the alfresco experience:
- Del Mar SoCal Kitchen / Lincoln Social Rooftop: The latest outdoor dining options are Cameron Mitchell’s new tandem concepts. The street-level Del Mar SoCal Kitchen opens up to the sidewalk on nice days, while the 9th-floor Lincoln Social Rooftop features a retractable roof, fire pit and spectacular skyline views.
- Forno: Enjoy great pizza, appetizers or wine from the outdoor seating along Buttles Avenue, watching over the hustle and bustle of the Short North.
- Bakersfield: Across Buttles Avenue from Forno, Bakersfield offers another sliver of prime patio real estate for some of the city’s best queso, tacos and margaritas.
- Union Cafe: A neighborhood draw since 1996, this LGBTQ-friendly cafe and cocktail lounge is home to one of the bigger patios in the Short North.
- Oddfellows Liquor Bar: From quirky interior decor to an artfully designed patio between two brick buildings, Oddfellows has character in spades.
- Goody Boy Diner: The newly renovated restaurant features a spacious outdoor dining area beneath the iconic Goody Boy sign.
- Seventh Son Brewing Co.: Like Fox in the Snow, this popular craft brewery is located just a few blocks off High Street but is absolutely worth checking out — even during the colder months, thanks to their fire pit.
- Basi Italia: This cozy Italian restaurant is tucked into the Victorian Village neighborhood about five blocks off High Street.
Get out there and enjoy the outdoor dining and drinking options!
Looking for a quick bite? There’s plenty of options for that, too. Here are some of the best bets for quick-service restaurants.
- North Market: There are so many options under one at this more than 140-year-old public market. There are butchers, bakers and cheese makers. Popular spots for full meals include Hot Chicken Takeover, Taste of Belgium and Momo Ghar.
- Brassica: Operated by the same people behind the Short North’s inimitable Northstar Cafe, Brassica is a fast-casual Mediterranean gem. Like at Chipotle, pick a bowl or wrap and then all the fixings you’d like.
- Hai Poké: This small shop serves up sushi bowls and other authentic, island-inspired street foods.
- White Castle: If you’re a fan of White Castle, this flagship restaurant is a must-see. Anchoring the corner of a brand new building, it sells beer, tester menu items and even features a drive-through.
- Jeni’s: A staple in the Short North since 2007 and now serving up ice cream at shops around the country. Try unique flavors like Sweet Cream Biscuits & Peach Jam or classics like chocolate.
Best happy hours
We’ll start by saying there are too many good happy hour deals to mention them all (head to the Short North Alliance website for a comprehensive list). Here are just a few of the very best:
- Arch City Tavern: Hours: M-F, 3 pm — 6 pm; Specials: Half-price on all draught beer and bottled wine, $3 well drinks; selection of discounted shareables
- Bodega: Hours: M-F, 4 pm — 8 pm; Specials: Half-price on all draught beer
- Condado: Hours: M-F, 4 pm — 7 pm; Specials: Half-price margaritas; $1 off tacos in the bar area
- Forno: Hours: M-F, 4 pm — 6 pm; Specials: Half-price draught beer, house cocktails, and wine by the glass; half-price all bar snacks, shareables, and pizzas
- Marcella’s: Hours: M-F, 4 pm — 6 pm; Specials: Half-price select food and drink at the bar
- Philco: Hours: M-F, 3 pm — 7 pm; Specials: Half-price local draughts
- The Eagle: Hours: M-F, 3 pm — 6 pm; Specials: Half-price draught beers, $2 Miller High Life Chalices, $3 bourbon of the day shot, $5 house cocktails; $4 snacks
There you have it — the best happy hours in the Short North. Be sure to wrap up the work day early and head out for a cheap drink and bite to eat.
If you are looking for an apartment, we encourage you to check out all of the properties offering Rhove, where you can make money on rent. You can read more about the Short North in our Short North Series.